I expect to make some changes to the rules regarding rosters. The roster limit has essentially been meaningless due to being able to make changes to the roster at almost anytime. Ideally the new rules will promote more balanced teams while not hurting the ability for teams to have enough to play.
I don’t really have any firm plans in place right now but here are some ideas I am considering:
- There is almost certainly going to be a low limit on how many times rosters can be modified.
- Have two sets of players within each roster. There would be a main roster of 8 or so regular players who can play all games with no restrictions. There would also be a separate roster roster of players who you want on your clan but who won’t be very active. This group of players would have restrictions on how much/when they can play. The goal here is to prevent too many top active players from being on the same team while allowing those who just want to show up occasionally to play with friends to still do so.
- Allow players to switch teams midseason but only to teams with equal or below in standings.
- Be more flexible on allowing players on other teams to temporarily fill in for other players during the regular season. These players will probably have to be approved by the opposing team’s captain.
- After the 2nd week (or sometime midseason) either have a draft or automatically assign free agents who have expressed interest to play but have not been picked up by any time. Any players added at this time would not count against the main roster limit described in #1 above. This is to at least make sure all players who want to play get placed on a clan. However there will be no requirement for a captain to use these players unless they otherwise would not have enough to play. Ideally even if they get no or very little play time, hopefully teams will at least communicate with them and help introduce them to competitive Altitude.
- There may be a chance for teams who make the playoffs to draft ACTIVE players from any eliminated teams (most likely only the team that finishes last) on the last Sunday of the regular season. This is partially to help encourage players on eliminated teams to continue showing up (requirement to be eligible to join another team). In addition it can help with any playoff team struggling to show enough to play and may slightly help balance out the teams.
Post any feedback regarding these ideas here so they can be discussed.
Expect rosters to be fully managed by clan captains in-game next season rather than through the forums. Any rules will be automatically enforced with the roster management commands.